- You can do it anywhere you happen to be – whether home, office, motel-room, on the road – as long as you have your laptop with you. No matter where you live, whether a block away from your therapist’s office, or in another continent, as long as that therapist offers online therapy, you speak the same language, and you find him/her likable, knowledgeable and reliable, you can choose your therapist on that basis, instead of on the basis of location. phone therapy
- You can do it anytime. For therapy to work for you it is advisable that you keep up with it steadily and consistently, so one e-session per week is the optimal pace. Other than that, YOU get to choose the exact time to write your email: when the kids are asleep; when you feel an urgent need to communicate; when you feel in the proper reflective mood, etc. How liberating! You don’t have one more chore, one more appointment to fit into your hectic schedule. Now, therapy can be part of your private “quiet time”. You can do it in your pajamas, in your underwear, while listening to music, sipping on some wine, with your facial mask on…I believe you get the point.
- You can maintain your privacy. If you happen to be a shy, reserved person, self-disclosure may seem too difficult a task for you, even though you may deeply crave it. E-therapy can help you come out of your shell in a gentle way that does not threaten your sensitivity or intense need for privacy.
- You can focus on the most important issues. Frequently, during in-office therapy conversation strays to narrating insignificant events or details. E-therapy gives you the opportunity to focus on your stuff beforehand and organize it even more on paper. This act in itself has extraordinary therapeutic benefits because it allows you to reflect in greater depth and detail on the troubling feelings, situations, symptoms, etc.
- You can afford it. In comparison to in-office therapy, e-therapy is much more affordable – usually about half the fee (or less) of in-office sessions. The reason for this is that your therapist enjoys some of the conveniences of e-therapy that you enjoy: he doesn’t have to shave, obviously, before writing his reply to you; she doesn’t have to dress up, or dust the office; they can also do it in their pajamas or underwear, while sipping on some wine, while listening to their favorite heavy metal music, etc. They can also do it when they are in the right mood, enjoy the same freedom you enjoy! For all these reasons, e-therapy gets to be much, much cheaper! Win-win situation, right?
So, what do you say? Have you been considering having some therapy but were discouraged by the hassle, inconvenience, pressure and cost? Then, online therapy may be the perfect solution for you!